A superceded method for how to insert merge-fields into your Microsoft Word templates, on a Windows PC. .
For Windows computer users, the method in this article is superseded; we recommend using the APE Word Add-in instead
This document is for administrators. It explains the old method for inserting merge fields into your Microsoft Word templates using old versions of Microsoft Word. This method is for users who have a version of Word older than 2010, or who are not on MS Windows. It uses Word's Mail Merge Manager, instead of the APE Word Add-in.
To start, we’ll walk through the process of adding the merge fields from an APE template into the corresponding word document. We’ll use the form from the Template Creation Quickstart. Here is the word document without the merge fields:
- Export the Merge Fields from APE Mobile
- Open your Word Document
- Use Mailings -> Select Recipients to import the merge fields from APE Mobile
- Use Mailing -> Insert Merge Field to insert the merge fields into the appropriate locations
- Edit Signature fields to prepend the merge field name with “Image:”
- Save, and then upload to the template in APE Mobile.
- Preview the document, and if necessary repeat the above steps to make any corrections.
- Export the Merge Fields from APE Mobile. This will download a .csv file, or a Comma Separated Values file
- Open your Word Document
- Select the Mailings tab in the ribbon at the top.
- Click on Select Recipients and then Use Existing List.
- Select the file containing the merge fields that you exported from APE Mobile. It is usually called merge_fields.csv.
- Click Open.
- Change the Field delimiter to a comma and leave the Record delimiter as “(enter)”.
Sometimes Word does not ask you about the delimiter; it just proceeds to the next step.
- Click OK. The Insert Merge Field option should now be active, and if you click on it, then you should be able to see the list of merge fields.
- Close the Insert Merge Field menu for now. To insert a field, first place the cursor in the desired location and then select the field from the menu. So to insert the Supervisor field, place the cursor in the Supervisor box, then select Supervisor from the Insert Merge Field menu. When finished, you should set the following.
- Repeat the previous step for each merge field.
- Note that signatures are a special case. By default they will insert the text “Signed in APE Mobile” if a signature is present. If you would prefer to insert the actual signature, then you need to edit the merge field and insert “Image:” into the beginning of the name. To do this, right-click on the Signature field.
- Select Edit Field…
- Change the Field name to “Image:Signature”. Note that “Image” must start with a capital I.
- Click OK. The change should now be reflected in the document.
- Save the merged document. You may want to append “_merged” to the file name to indicate that it contains merge fields. In this case we used “APE Supervisors Diary_merged.doc”.
- Back in APE Mobile, edit the template and click Browse for the Upload new MS Word template field.
- A chooser should appear that allows you to select the new version of the document containing the merge fields.
- Select your newly merged document then scroll down and click Save to update the draft MS Word template.
- You can now preview it to check for mistakes, as detailed in Creating Templates