This document is for administrators. It describes how to create and manage Organisation Lists. .
This document is for administrators. It describes how to create and manage Organisation Lists.
Organisational Lists are used in dropdown selection boxes in project memos, forms, and/or actions. They are used in Templates by including an Org. List or Org. List-Multi type of field.
They differ from Lists and Project Lists as follows:
- The lists for List-Single and List-Multi fields are defined with the field, and cannot be changed without editing that field’s details and republishing the template.
- Organisation Lists are the same across all projects. They can be updated dynamically by administrators, and users can also add new list items on-the-fly.
- Project Lists are similar to Organisation Lists, except that they are specific to a particular project. For example, you might define a Site Inductee project list type that is referenced in templates, but the contents of this list would be different from one project to the next. Like Organisation Lists, they can be updated dynamically by administrators, and users can add new list items on-the-fly.
There is also an advanced multi-column organisation list, which is used in conjunction with the VLOOKUP function in formula fields. Currently they can only be created by importing an Org. List, see section 3.4 Import.
Clicking Org. Lists in the left-hand navigator (or in the Admin menu) brings up the Organisation Lists Register screen as shown below.
If Organisation Lists have not been used then they can be deleted, by clicking the rubbish bin button.
Clicking the Details button for an Organisation List will show the information currently in that list. From this screen the administrator can Edit the list or Export the list to a .csv file. This shows the details for the Activity Codes Organisational List.
The Edit page allows you to change the list name, or to add, edit and delete list items.
Multi-column list items can be added, edited and deleted from the mobile apps, wherever the list is used in a List control. However the web app currently only allows you to delete items from multi-column Org. Lists. To add or edit items when using the web app:
- Export the multi-columns Org. List.
- Edit the output from above (a CSV file) outside of APE Mobile, e.g. in Excel.
- Import it.
You can also lock the list to prevent mobile device users from being able to add, edit or delete items.
A new (single column) Organisation List can be created using this form. Name is mandatory but the list items are optional (they might be created later by an administrator, or by users adding to the list on-the-fly).
The Import page allows you to create or update an Organisation List from a .csv file. It also describes the requirements of the .csv file. Click the Browse button to select a suitable .csv file, then Import. The import process uses the file’s name as the name of the Org. List (minus the “.csv” extension).
Importing can be used to create multi-column Org. Lists, except for the following special tables:
Drawings & Docs Disciplines
Drawings & Docs Statuses
Drawings & Docs Types
If there is an existing Organisation List with the same name as the import, then its contents will be replaced by the contents of the .csv file. That can be used to change the number and type of columns in a list. In that case be careful to accordingly change any templates that use those columns.
Here is an example of a single column csv file:
And here is an example of a multi-column csv file:
Name,Lookup Value 1,Lookup Value 2
The first row contains the label for each column, the second row contains the type of value for each column (String or Number), and the remaining rows contain the data for each item in the list.
NOTE: In the single column case, the first two rows are currently ignored. Single columns lists always use “Name” for the label, and assume that the item values are of type “String”.